Thursday 2 July 2009

Mrs Slocombe And The Power Of Pussy

Last week on Facefuck ... sorry... book, my friend E's status report had her between a rock and a rock. A mutual friend S offered her a hard place, saying he had a few to spare. I commented (as one does in these forums) that his response was "a bit Mrs Slocombe's pussy". S replied that some days everything feels like Mrs Slocombe's pussy.

I share this anecdote to illustrate the power of the collective reference point and a testimony to the talent of Mollie Sugden, who just passed away, yet whose characterisation was so potent as to remain a euphemism for innuendo decades after Are You Being Served? ended. Also as a little shout out to S, big brother of my good friend L, who shares a very similar pop-culture sensibility with me. I love how connections are made across people and communities for myriad reasons. One that tends to draw me to people is "the funny". So to S and all of you out there - in memory of the Marvellous Mollie - keep bringing it. And do put something funny in today's comment section if you feel so inclined, oh wondrous lurky stars.

xxx

1 comment:

Nell Gwynne said...

Never underestimate the power of the Britcom.