Friday 15 May 2009

Smells Like Teen Spirit 2: Incense Boogaloo


Addendum: Hey, just had another thought about incense. Around 1990, my very talented friend A (brother of my very talented friend, L) wrote a song about me called "Everyone Loves [insert Dr Plog's real name here]" -- with such foresight, I hasten to add: this predates Raymond by how long? Anyvey, it contained these lines: She ordains herself in incense before she goes to school which technically wasn't true, but interesting, especially in light of a later anecdote.

In 2005, when I moved to London, I maybe went a bit overboard with trying to establish my corner ... um, half ... actually probably more like three quarters of the apartment. A friend, D, to this day gives me shit about my "shrine" of photos of friends from home, which may have been sitting on some silk scarves which may happen to have been near some burning incense. D felt it necessary to grab some rice from the pantry and make an offering to the gods.

So I do have a history with the stuff. At one point I even decided to call my imaginary, hypothetical daughter Keturah because it's Hebrew for incense ... shit, I'm way more implicated than I thought! I had never considered this mini-history before.

So what's your "incense"? What's something that you always elect to have around you, something that's so normalised in your environment that you take it for granted, yet it's not something that everyone has or even likes? (It can't be a person though. That could get mighty bitchy.)

1 comment:

Meg said...

Accumulated red treasures.