Friday 22 May 2009

Representations Of Anythingness

My favourite academic point of entry (Ooh, Matron! That sounded a lot dirtier than intended) is to take anything "actors", "Asians", "atheists", "arthritics", anything (!) and deconstruct "representations of ..."

As y'all know -- or y'all should know ;) -- almost every cultural category that is promoted as undisputable truth is ultimately fiction. If Historical Theory taught me anything it is the fact that every facet of your identity and mine (my femaleness/femininity; Australianness; Jewishness; heterosexualnormativity; whiteness; coolness) is the product of millenia of cultural construction, deconstruction and reconstruction. Ya hear me? Ya either Post-Modern with me, or Post Haste.

A hectic weekend awaits me.

Not sure if I'm spiritually up for it.

(Mr P just dropped a big, smelly one. Charming.)

1 comment:

Meg said...

Saw this and thought of you. xx