Sunday 23 May 2010

A Big MStake


"There is a void in the English language which, with some diffidence, we undertake to fill ...

Now, clearly, what is needed is a more comprehensive term which does homage to the sex without expressing any views as to their domestic situation, and what could be simpler or more logical than the retention of what the two doubtful terms have in common. The abbreviation "Ms" is simple, it is easy to write, and the person concerned can translate it properly according to circumstances. For oral use it might be rendered as "Mizz," which would be a close parallel to the practice long universal in many bucolic regions, where a slurred Mis' does duty for Miss and Mrs alike."


THIS WAS WRITTEN IN 1901. Nineteen-oh-fucking-ONE, people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so furious that Ms has not replaced the Virgin/Housewife dichotomy. Did you know that in its original seventeenth century usage, "Mistress" -the equivalent of "Mister"- bore no reference to marital status?


I think this might be my calling, people. An anti-Mrs Campaign. Let's eradicate this menace in our lifetime! Who's on board?



5 comments:

Meg said...

Mistress Meg is!!

Elly said...

I've been 'Ms' since I've had to call myself anything (i.e about age 13). Obviously heavily influenced by my Ms momma - my 'rents lived together for a looooong time before they married and both were self-employed.

gherkingirl said...

Interestingly I always use Miss even my mother was always Ms (with a separate bank account). I have no idea why I do it though...

Doctor Plog said...

I think Ms is less widely used here than in Australia - only little girls are "Miss" if memory serves me correctly.

Meg said...

I Miss you!