Wednesday 2 September 2009

Love Letters Of 1939


"One kiss would, I think, help to reassure me that there are some lovely things left in the world, that there is some good besides the monstrous evil into which we are plunging."

If you love history, or if you love the (lost? losing?) art of letter-writing or even if you just love love, you will adore this series of correspondence between Gwynne and Winnie Meara, an English couple like many separated at the outbreak of the Second World War. Just published in the Times by their son David, they "paint a vivid picture of the hope and despair of so many people at the time, as Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain made his fateful declaration on September 3, 1939."

(Image from here)

2 comments:

Meg said...

Thank you for your love letter postcard, which arrived in my hands last night. I love to read your words here, but there's something about seeing your handwriting that fills me with blue skied sunshine. xx

Anonymous said...

I love this. Now I feel quite justified hoarding my boxes and boxes of love letters...