Sunday 6 September 2009

Dr Plog's One Hundredth Post


To my eleven followers and countless readers ("countless" in the literal sense of the word as I appear to have no way of gauging, or am I merely as uninternetty as I've long suspected?) - I THANK YOU! I have reached my century and now I must retire this experiment, this ill-advised ... folly!

Just kidding, folks!

It's actually been great doing this, being here: far, far less scaryintimidating than I'd imagined. I am not a Child of the Web (oooh, free horror film title for any would-be Wes Cravens amongst you) and although I've been known to exhibit exhibitionistic tendencies (wee early century swing phase), this is on a much larger, unpoliced scale. Less sexy too. Unless ... hmmm ...

(DOCTOR PLOG then bursts into Halle x Gwyneth-sized tears and runs up to the podium, the delicate fringe of her emerald-green, slit to the j-lo buttcheek dress swishing glamorously around those red-soled shoes that all those lemming-stars ponificate about - you don't see Tilda Swinton and Fiona Shaw waxing lyrical, just sayin'... )

DOCTOR PLOG: (Melodramatically, between tears, yet actually genuine, heartfelt. I just have impulse control issues) I'd like to thank Meg, without whom I wouldn't be here - no, really! Girlfriend bullied me into it! I'd like to thank the blogs that have inspired me and the commenters who bring the funny and the insightful. And I'd like to thank the LA City Bus Company for taking a chance on an unknown kid ...

END SCENE

Blogging has helped my confidence, given me an outlet for all that goes in (not a euphemism) and shaped the way I literally "see" things (Lady Camera accompanies me on a lot more adventures these days). I am having more adventures these days: being braver about approaching new people and seeking out different things, ostensibly for "the blog" but really for me. And finally, FINALLY - after years and years of the most painful writers' blockage caused by Theo (Mr P's name for my thesis = the root cause of my ph.depression, my ph.dystopia, my ph.dysfunction, helped along by my "frenemy" Mary J) - I am remembering how the act of writing itself is so deeply gratifying even if the end result is messy, misspelt, misshapen: full of tangents, full of non-sequitirs, full o' shite. In other words: all one hundred posts, present crapola included, which makes me even more appreciative of your indulgences. Mille grazie!

x x x

7 comments:

Mr Plog said...

Congratulations Dr Plog, the net would be a poorer place without you x

Doctor Plog said...

Thanks, Mister P. Could've gone either way...

Meg said...

Mazel tov to you and also to us, your eager beaver readers. xx

YorubaGirl said...

Mazel Tov! As a resident lurker, I'd like to wish you big congratulations on your century. Here's to many more.

Doctor Plog said...

Thank you! Big compliment coming from such witty bloggers as yourselves.

Rochelle Rochelle said...

Wow! 100 already! You don't look a day over 99... You have blogged so wittily and so generously. Thank you for the wonderful sojourns into your heart and mind. xxx
P.S. Who comes up with the word verification words. Are they even actual words? Come to think of it "Shnord" does sound like some sort of respiratory problem suffered by the stingy...

Doctor Plog said...

It's a Scandinavian fruit. But I like the way you think, R-Squared. You can come and play anytime x